I need to get something out into the open, I am NOT a fan of Pumpkin pie and all the products that have been created around Pumpkin Pie Spice! I don’t like Pumpkin Spiced Latte, Pumpkin Spice Scented candles, bubble bath etc. I do LIKE Pumpkin and a fresh mix of fall spices that are typically added to this favorite fall squash, and I LOVE cake! So, I like to surprise my pumpkin pie loving friends and family with this very special fall treat. My Pumpkin Spice Roll has all the flavors we crave at this time of the year in a light and airy sponge cake filled with a fluffy cream cheese filling and a bonus crunch from walnuts. It’s very easy to prepare and a delicious addition to the typical pie line up on more dessert buffets this time of year so give it a try!
3/4 C all purpose flour
1 C granulated sugar
1 t baking soda
2 t PS...LUV
1 cup pumpkin puree
1 t lemon juice
2 T confectioner’s sugar
1 8 oz pack of cream cheese, softened
1/4 C butter
1 t vanilla extract
1 1/2 - 2 C confectioner’s sugar
1/2 C chopped walnuts
- Preheat oven to 375. Line 9x13 jelly roll pan w/waxed paper and spray w/nonstick cooking agent.
- Beat eggs in small mixing bowl on high speed until thick & lemony in color, about 5 mins.
- Pour eggs into larger mixing bowl and gradually beat in sugar. Add pumpkin puree, lemon juice and vanilla on low speed.
- Gradually add flour, spice, baking soda beating just until batter is smooth. Pour into jelly roll pan spreading batter out to corners.
- Bake at 375 for 12-15 minutes until wooden toothpick comes out clean.
- While cake bakes, lay a clean kitchen towel on counter and generously sprinkle with 2 T of confectioner’s sugar to cover cloth.
- When cake is done, loosen from pan and immediately invert on top of towel and roll up lengthwise with the cake inside.
- Cool on wire rack for 20-30 mins.
- Make icing by blending all ingredients except nuts in mixer until smooth and fluffy.
- When the cake is cooled, unroll and spread icing onto it to edges. Sprinkle with walnuts. Immediately re-roll and wrap in plastic wrap.
- Refrigerate until ready to serve or wrap and freeze for up to 2 weeks.
Before serving, cut the roll in half, then trim the ends to have a sharp edge and put on a platter. Give a light dusting of powdered sugar and add any other decorations of your choice.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.